Shining Star Award
Sponsored by Quarles & Brady
The purpose of the Shining Star Award is to recognize, celebrate, and encourage outstanding contributions to WASBO through member participation in committees, regional leadership and/or program development.
To be eligible the nominee must:
- Be an active district professional, service affiliate, or retiree WASBO member at the time of the nomination.
- Have been serving on a WASBO committee and/or in a special capacity for WASBO at the time at which they are being nominated, and/or have recently served on the WASBO Board of Directors.
- Not have received a Shining Star Award in the past five years.
Current members of the Board of Directors are ineligible for the award and may not nominate a candidate for the award.
Nominations may be made by any WASBO member (with the exception of current Board members) or WASBO Regional.
Selection criteria will be limited to award worthy contribution(s) to the Wisconsin Association of School Business Officials having taken place in the past five years. Criteria will concentrate on acts that demonstrate extraordinary commitment of time, talents and/or effort to a project, service and/or initiative. Nominations should plainly document the contribution(s) of the individual and the positive impact of the contribution(s) to fulfill the vision and mission of the WASBO organization or its members.
Nominations may include the following, but are not required:
- Description of service to WASBO
- Outstanding initiatives created by nominee
- Supporting letters from people who have served with the nominee, or have benefitted from the initiative
- Length of service to WASBO
Please limit submitted supporting letters to no more than six (6).
It is not the intention of the Board of Directors that this award must be presented annually, nor is it the intention that when awarded, only one award is necessarily given in any particular year. Rather, it shall be presented at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
The Shining Star Award recipient will be recognized at the WASBO Foundation Fall Conference. A $1,000 professional development grant and a plaque accompany this award. The $1,000 award is to be used to fund training opportunities, staff development, or attendance at relevant conferences.
The name of the recipient(s) of the Shining Star Award shall be added to the plaque in the WASBO office and a letter of commendation shall be sent to the recipient’s school board by the Executive Director on behalf of the Board of Directors. Press releases will be sent to the local media.
The WASBO Board of Directors considers nominations at its Board meeting following the nomination deadline and selects the Award recipient. The Board’s decision is final.