Reopening Schools Resource
June 24, 2020
We are pleased to present WASBO’s Reopening Schools Resource of best practices, recommendations, ideas and reactions to DPI’s recently published Education Forward guidance document. Our association has a core value of helping and sharing generously with each other. This resource, created for you by your colleagues, provides a fine example in that tradition.
Over the next several weeks, you will be able to access information on reopening schools in each of these categories: Transportation; Facility Operations; Food Service; Technology; Human Resources; Legislation and Advocacy; and Budget/Finance.
Material will be updated regularly as we move closer to the start of school, and in response to ever changing conditions. A special ‘thank you’ to our team members: Lynn Knight and Jason Demerath (co-chairs); Brian Adesso; Pat Finnemore; Greg Gaarder; Rob Nelson; Beth Sheridan; John Stellmacher; Jodi Traas; Chad Wiese; and John Gahan. WASBO also wishes to acknowledge Vicki Adkins, WASPA Executive Director, for sharing her perspective on human resource issues.
Members are invited to join the Reopening Wisconsin Schools Discussion on WASBO's ConNectwork by clicking this link, signing into your WASBO account, and pressing the "Join" button!
WASBO Facilities Subcommittee
June 26, 2020
Recommendations concerning face masks, screening, hand sanitizer and visitors.
HR Impacts from DPI Reopen Plan and COVID-19 Issues
Vickie Adkins, WASPA Executive Director
- The impact on FTE/staffing
- The increase costs of wages and benefits
- Employee stress and EAPs
- Compliance with Regs
- Worksite determinations
- Handling increased requests for leave of absence or work from home
- Accommodations for employees who contract or exhibit symptoms of COVID-19
- Accommodations employees at risk for serious COVID-19 illness
- Accommodations for employees who choose not to work
- Management response to employees who refuse to return to work
- Employee handbook and/or Pandemic Policy Procedure Manual
- Union and labor relations
Wisconsin School Transportation Considerations
The following recommendations are offered by WASBO’s Reopening Schools Work Group and were created with the cooperation and input of the Wisconsin School Bus Association:
- School bus preparation and disinfecting
- Modifications to transportation system
- Employee training
- Transportation operations - management or routing departments
- Extra-curricular trips
- Other considerations